Types of Emergencies
- natural disaster
- severe weather
- mass power outage
- civil unrest
- crimes of mass violence
Steps To Take
If you have experienced any of the mentioned types of emergencies, there are Penn State World Campus systems and services in place to help you navigate this challenging time. It is important that you follow the general procedures below:
Notify your instructors as soon as you are able.
- If the emergency is foreseen, such as a predicted inclement weather event, let your instructors and/or adviser know in advance.
- Inform them that you may be without access to technology and request flexibility with regard to your course work.
- Discuss whether assignment deadline extensions, deferred grading, or alternative grading options exist.
- Professors are often willing to work with students when they reach out directly.
- Be mindful that requests for grading flexibility fall under the sole purview of the instructor.
Seek support from the World Campus Student Affairs Office of Care and Concern by completing a Care and Concern form if the following apply:
- You have health and wellness concerns resulting from the emergency.
- You have a financial hardship resulting from the emergency.
- You are in need of assistance initiating a conversation with your instructors regarding the emergency.
- You have an academic concern resulting from the emergency.
- You need to withdraw from your course work as a result of the emergency.