Withdrawing from a Semester

If you are unable to complete the semester and plan to drop your only course or all of your courses, you will need to withdraw from the semester. You can withdraw at any time during the semester, including the last day of classes.

To withdraw, you will need to submit a withdrawal form. Visit the University Registrar website to view the form as well as complete details about the withdrawal process, requirements, and implications.

Tuition, Financial Aid, and Military Benefits

Withdrawal may result in a tuition adjustment. Read about tuition adjustment for more information.

Withdrawal may also impact financial aid and military benefits. If you use financial aid and/or military benefits, you should contact us to discuss your individual circumstances.

  • For financial aid information, contact the Financial Aid Office at 814-867-4244 or [email protected].
  • For military benefits information, contact the Military Educational Benefits Office at 814-863-6638 or [email protected].


After withdrawing, you will need to apply for re-enrollment to the University in order to become a Penn State student again. You may need to complete the Returning Adult Learner form if you qualify for the Adult Learner exception, which allows you to return to your previous program of study.

If you’re a nondegree or certificate student, you will need to submit a nondegree enrollment form.  

No re-enrollment fee is required.

Military Withdrawal

If you're called to active duty during a semester or session, you should initiate a military withdrawal. You will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal, and you will be eligible for military re-enrollment to the University. This will allow you to re-enroll with the same major and location you were assigned at the time of withdrawal. Note that students in basic training are not eligible for military withdrawal.