Penn State World Campus courses are located in Canvas, Penn State’s course management system. Use the following resources to prepare for and make the most of your courses.
Before Classes Start
- Make sure you have an active Penn State Access Account, user ID, and password. Ensure your personal information is up-to-date.
- Check your class schedule and make any necessary changes.
- Review financial aid, pay your bill, or make payment arrangements.
- Make sure your computer meets our technical requirements.
- Understand the financial considerations and deadlines for dropping a course.
- Purchase the required course materials.
- Check your Penn State email through Outlook in Office 365. It is important to check regularly, as all essential course communications will be sent through that account. You can also forward your Penn State email to your personal email account.
- Keep your multifactor authorization (MFA) settings current.
- Familiarize yourself with Penn State’s grading system to understand how your course work will be measured.
First Day of Class
- Log in to Canvas. You will be able to access your course after 10:00 a.m. (ET) on the first day of class.
- Make proctor arrangements, if required. If any of your courses require proctored exams by webcam or an approved in-person proctor, begin making those arrangements.
- Note course deadlines and academic calendar dates.
- Learn about student services and resources like academic advising, career services, tutoring, disability accommodations, and library services.
Attending Your Courses
Attendance is a critical element of your success as a student, and it can include several factors for online learners. Penn State defines attendance for online learners as follows:
Attendance in online courses goes beyond course login and is based on documentable participation in class activities, such as interacting with the instructor, interacting with enrolled students, completing assignments with specific due dates, and/or participating in online discussions on a regular basis.
You can find more information about attendance in the Academic Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.