Transcripts document your grades, degree(s), and courses you completed at Penn State, and much more information about your time as a Penn State student. They are often necessary when you apply for jobs or admittance to professional organizations or graduate school, but they can also help you understand your own progress as you continue to meet your academic goals. There are two different kinds of transcripts: official and unofficial.

What Is an Official Transcript?

Potential employers, graduate schools, and professional associations most typically request that you authorize release of an official transcript — the University's certified statement of your academic record. Your official transcript is printed on security-sensitive paper and contains:

  • the University seal
  • signature of the University Registrar
  • courses you completed
  • grades you earned and semesters in which they were received
  • notations of distinctions you earned
  • your major(s), minor(s), and option(s)
  • the degree(s) you received from Penn State

How Do I Obtain My Official Transcript?

When requesting your transcript, be sure to list all areas of Penn State course work you have taken so we can ensure that your transcript is complete. For your protection, we will not release an official transcript without your signature.

A fee is charged for all official transcripts.

To order an official transcript, please see the Office of the University Registrar's official transcripts information page.

What's an Unofficial Transcript?

The unofficial transcript is only available to currently enrolled students for academic advising. It contains the same information found on an official transcript, but it differs from an official transcript because it is:

  • printed on plain white paper
  • not certified by the University Registrar as a complete and accurate record of the University
  • never mailed to any third party regardless of permission from the student

How Do I Obtain My Unofficial Transcript?

Currently enrolled students can view their unofficial transcript and request an official transcript in the My Academics section in LionPATH