Transferring Credits

At Penn State, advanced standing credits may be awarded for college-level work taken at regionally accredited institutions, provided:

  • the course grade you earned is equivalent to a grade of A, B, or C (2.0) at Penn State
  • there is an equivalent course at Penn State
  • the credits are useful to your program of study

You will need to submit an official transcript from each institution where you completed courses that you would like to transfer. A $25 processing fee will be assessed for each transcript, regardless of whether transfer credit is earned, for courses that you completed elsewhere after enrolling at Penn State. If you completed courses at another institution before enrolling at Penn State, the fee will not be charged.

Please be advised that your tuition may increase when transfer credits are applied to your transcript. For more details, visit the Office of the Bursar's website

Transfer Credit and Your GPA

  • Students entering Penn State with advanced standing credits will not earn a grade-point average (GPA) until the completion of their first Penn State course.
  • You must be in degree status or have completed at least one 3-credit course at Penn State before any transferred credit will be recorded on your transcript.
  • Actual letter grades are not transferred from other institutions — just the credit — so your Penn State GPA will not be affected by transfer credits.

If you are supplementing your undergraduate degree requirements by taking a course outside of Penn State, we reccomend that you utilize the Transfer Credit Tool