Services for Military and Veteran Students

Military and veteran students have unique needs, and we have designed student support services and policies to make your time at World Campus flexible.

Military Withdrawal Process

If you are deploying, participating in an extended training exercise, or making an unexpected change of duty station, you may request a withdrawal. You will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal, and you will be eligible for "military re-enrollment" to the university, which allows you to stay enrolled in the same major upon resuming your studies. 

To request a withdrawal, complete the following two actions:

  1. Present a copy of your military orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead to the Registrar's Office at the campus you are attending. The correspondence must include your unit commander’s contact information and the duration and location of your pending assignment.
  2. Complete a Withdrawal Form, citing "military" as your reason.

For more information about the military withdrawl process, please visit the Penn State Office of the University Registrar website

Priority Registration for Veterans

Veterans who have been honorably discharged from all branches of the U.S. military are eligible for priority registration for Penn State classes through World Campus.


The term "veteran" refers to an individual who:

  1. has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and the National Guard, and
  2. was discharged or released from such service with a condition other than dishonorable.

To exercise this benefit, submit a Priority Registration Form, along with a copy of the Member 4 section of your DD Form 214 (indicating character of discharge). Active-duty service members should send a letter from their command validating their dates of service. Documents should be sent to the Office of Veterans Programs:

Office of Veterans Programs
325 Boucke Building
University Park, PA 16802
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 814-865-3815

Awarding Academic Credit for Military Training and Experience

Military Credit

If you are a student and a veteran, or a member of the armed forces or the selected reserves, you may be granted academic credit for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), Rating, or Air Force Specialty Codes (AFSC) held in the armed services, in accordance with University policy. Students interested in receiving credit for their educational experience should use designated military sites to submit any applicable SMART, AARTS, Coast Guard Institute, or the Community College of the Air Force transcripts to:

Undergraduate Admissions Office
The Pennsylvania State University
201 Shields Building
University Park PA 16802

College-Level Exam Program (CLEP)

Penn State awards credit for CLEP exams at the level recommended by the American Council on Education. For detailed information on the exams accepted and the credit awarded, visit Penn State's Credit Awarded for CLEP web page.

Penn State World Campus does not charge an administrative fee for an active-duty student taking the CLEP exam at the Outreach Testing Center. Military veterans can seek reimbursement from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for CLEP exams and fees.

Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) Subject Standardized Tests

Special circumstances often prevent service personnel from continuing their education in the traditional classroom setting. Through World Campus, DANTES extends educational opportunities to all servicemen and servicewomen in or outside the United States. If you are a student interested in receiving credit for DSST, please visit Penn State's DSST website.

Exam Proctoring for Military Students

Approved exam proctors for members of the armed services include:

  • any commissioned or noncommissioned officer of higher rank than the student
  • an education services officer or testing personnel at a Military Education Center
  • a base clergy member
  • a base- or unit-level commander
  • a base librarian
  • a service-approved authorized representative