Financial Aid for Military and Veteran Students

You have a variety of options available to assist in paying for your education, whether you are serving on active duty, in the guard or reserve, or if you are a veteran. Financial support for military and veteran students includes:

  • Military Grant in Aid and Tuition Assistance
  • VA education benefits such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Exclusive military scholarships and other scholarships open to military students

VA Education Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers several education benefits to service members, veterans, and dependents to cover all or part of their educational expenses. Here are the steps for accessing those benefits:

  • Complete and submit the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). If you are deemed eligible, the VA will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” detailing your VA educational benefits.
  • Apply your benefits at Penn State World Campus by sending a copy of your certificate of eligibility to [email protected].
  • Once you’ve registered for classes, complete and submit the below VA Certification Request Form for the appropriate semester(s). This form must be submitted for every semester in which you are enrolled. Contact a VA certifying official before making enrollment changes or if you have questions.

Submit the VA Certification Request Form

If you have questions, please contact:

Veterans Educational Benefits Office
Monday–Friday: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. ET 
Phone: 814-863-6638
Email: [email protected]


Post-9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33

Recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) may receive a percentage of payment for tuition and fees paid directly to the University, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year. You may be eligible to receive this benefit if you:

  • have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 10, 2001
  • are still on active duty
  • are an honorably discharged veteran
  • or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days

Montgomery GI Bill – Chapters 30 and 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill provides education benefits for tuition, books, and fees paid directly to service members and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. The VA offers two unique benefits: The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD, Chapter 30) and the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606).

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Veterans with a service-connected disability may qualify for Chapter 31 benefits. If you are using Chapter 31, you should email Maggie Kwok at [email protected] to learn more about Chapter 31 benefits and related information concerning disability services for students. You can also complete the below Students with Disabilities Contact Form to learn more.

Complete the Students with Disabilities Contact Form

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607

REAP provides educational assistance to members of the reserve components called or ordered to active duty. While the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP, some individuals may still be eligible. However, in many cases, the Post-9/11 Bill provides a greater benefit than REAP.

Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) – Chapter 35

The DEA program offers education and training opportunities to eligible surviving dependents or dependents of veterans who are permanently or totally disabled due to a service-connected disability.

Tuition Assistance Top-Up

Military students who are eligible for Chapter 30 or 33 GI Bill—and approved to use military TA—can elect to receive their VA education benefit to cover part of the remaining expenses when TA does not cover 100% of tuition and fees.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Penn State World Campus, as a part of the Penn State University Park campus, is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. However, since Penn State World Campus students qualify for in-state tuition, Yellow Ribbon payments are not necessary.

To learn more about VA education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

Military Grant-in-Aid for Undergraduate Students

Our Military Grant-in-Aid program makes it possible for service members and their spouses to save on undergraduate tuition, bringing our tuition rate closer to the Department of Defense cap. Military Grant-in-Aid, offered only through Penn State World Campus, lowers the cost of undergraduate tuition to $353* per credit. When combined with military tuition assistance, the remaining student investment is $103 per credit.

You must complete the Military Grant-in-Aid form each semester that you plan to take courses through Penn State World Campus. To qualify, a signed copy of the form must be submitted to the Penn State World Campus Bursar within seven days of scheduling your courses.

Complete the Military Grant-in-Aid Form

Send your form to the Penn State World Campus Bursar:

Penn State World Campus
121 Outreach Building
University Park, PA 16802-7012
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 814-863-1385

Note: Starting with the Spring 2020 semester, Penn State will eliminate the information technology fee as a separate line item on the student bill and instead incorporate the fee as part of the tuition rate. This action will not impact overall cost.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Penn State World Campus has agreed to the DoD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding, which allows service members to use military TA benefits when enrolled as a student.

When requesting approval for military TA, students should use OPE-ID #00332900, which is the identification number that Penn State World Campus shares with Penn State University Park Campus.

Contact your education center for details about your eligibility to receive TA and your service branch’s process for accessing this benefit.

Once your tuition assistance request is approved, send your tuition authorization form to the Penn State World Campus Bursar.

Student Agreement/Degree Plan Requests

Undergraduate students should contact their academic adviser to request a student agreement/degree plan. Please send this request from your Penn State email account and indicate your name, Penn State ID, and degree of study. If you do not have an adviser, please use the Academic Advising contact form.

Graduate students should request a student agreement/degree plan by emailing [email protected] from your Penn State email account and indicate your name, Penn State ID, and degree of study.

World Campus Scholarships

We are committed to making a quality education affordable for our military and veteran students. Military students are eligible to apply for World Campus scholarships. Visit our scholarships page to learn more about scholarships open to service members, veterans, and their families.

Please note: The Office of Student Aid may need to send you documents by way of USPS, so be sure to keep your permanent address updated in LionPATH. If you are not currently located at your permanent mailing address, make sure your mail is forwarded to you in a timely manner.