College-Level Examination Program
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know, by earning qualifying scores on any of 33 examinations. Earn credit for knowledge you've acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or internships. A service of the College Board, CLEP can help you save time and money.
What Are CLEP Exams Like?
CLEP exams are Internet-based and available in five subject areas: business; composition and literature; foreign languages; history and social sciences; and science and mathematics. Exams last about 90 minutes and are mainly multiple-choice, with some fill-in and some listening sections for foreign languages. Scores are provided to test-takers at the completion of most exams. A score of 50 is needed to attain college credits.
How Many Credits Can I Earn through CLEP?
You can earn 3 to 12 credits for each exam, which can be applied toward Penn State degree programs. To learn how CLEP credits are awarded at Penn State, refer to the Undergraduate Admissions Office website.
Costs and Locations
Each CLEP exam costs $105, which consists of two charges: one $20 nonrefundable administrative fee and one $85 CLEP exam fee.
Penn State University Park offers testing services at the Outreach Testing Center, located in the 329 Building in Innovation Park, at 8:30 a.m. on Fridays. (Testing times are subject to change without notice. Please call the Outreach Testing Center in advance to schedule an appointment.)
Other Penn State campuses that offer CLEP testing services are Penn State New Kensington, Penn State Greater Allegheny, Penn State Beaver, Penn State DuBois, Penn State York campuses, and Pennsylvania College of Technology.
You do not have to be a Penn State student to take a CLEP exam at a Penn State campus; our CLEP testing services are open to all students.
There are more than 1,400 CLEP testing centers at universities throughout the United States. Find a CLEP testing center near you.
Taking CLEP Exams at University Park
How to Schedule an Exam
- Visit the CLEP website to register for the exam you wish to take and pay the $85 CLEP exam fee. You will need to be registered with CLEP and have paid your $85 CLEP fee before taking your exam at the Outreach Testing Center. Please remember to bring your CLEP voucher as you will not be able to register and pay your exam fee at the Testing Center.
- Visit the Outreach Testing Center website to find more information about the Outreach Testing Center and schedule your CLEP exam.
CLEP Testing Day
On the day of the exam, please bring the following items with you:
- Current government-issued ID with your full name in English language characters, and your signature AND photo, such as a driver's license, passport, tribal ID, state or province ID, military ID, national ID, or naturalization card or certificate of citizenship (CLEP does not accept University IDs)
- $20 administrative fee payable via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or debit card (must have the Visa or MasterCard logo). Cash is not accepted.
- CLEP exam voucher showing that you have registered with CLEP and paid the $85 CLEP fee
Important Information for Military and Veteran Students
CLEP exams are free for eligible military personnel and eligible civilian employees. Penn State is a military-friendly institution; therefore, the University Park CLEP Center will waive the administrative fee for active-duty military personnel. Military veterans can seek reimbursement from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for CLEP exams and fees. Learn more about CLEP for military service members and veterans.