The World Campus Student Advisory Board is an extension of Student Affairs whose members provide advocacy on behalf of students, through collaborative partnerships with administrators and faculty. The Advisory Board works to enrich and improve the World Campus experience and to provide relevant services to World Campus students.
The board consists of 30–35 students who work under the leadership of the director of Student Affairs. While all board and committee meetings are virtual, members may have the opportunity to travel to the University Park campus for special events. Being a member of the board requires approximately a five-hour a month commitment which can include:
- monthly board meetings
- committee meetings
- service opportunities
- professional development opportunities
- interactions with senior leadership
Being a board member can help you learn what it takes to become a better leader and communicator, appreciate the diversity of your peers, and identify civil and social responsibilities to develop yourself personally and professionally.
The board carries out its work via committees. All board members are required to be a member of one of the following committees.
Governance and Campus Relations
Purpose — Develop and maintain bylaws of the organization, manage board membership, and strategically develop and implement opportunities to partner with University Park and Commonwealth campuses in support of students.
- develop membership guidelines
- develop the application for new members
- meet with other campus student governments
Clubs and Organizations
Purpose — Promote existing, and help with the development of, new student clubs and organizations. Review proposals and allocate funds for new student organizations.
- review and provide feedback about rules and policies for clubs and organizations
- meet with new student organization leaders to provide support
Student Engagement Activities
Purpose — Plan and implement student engagement opportunities and help identify strategic partnerships with academic and administrative units for engagement.
- provide feedback on student engagement technologies
- plan activities for upcoming semesters
Marketing and Communications
Purpose — Promote student organizations, activities, and resources with the goal of increasing awareness and participation within World Campus. Attend special events and serve as a World Campus communication ambassador.
- manage student advisory board web presence
- recruit writers for the World Campus Blog
- attend prospective student recruitment events
Purpose — Serve as the voice of students for units and committees working with faculty and academic programs.
- work with university libraries to enhance online resources
- collaborate with academic advisers
The advisory board was formed in spring 2016, and strives to improve the Penn State World Campus experience through its work. Some of the board's ongoing initiatives include:
- supporting Penn State EdTech Network
- serving on hiring committees for key student service staff
- providing feedback on student engagement