As a Penn State World Campus student, you have some important responsibilities in each course you take. Each course syllabus and instructor will provide more details, but here are a few tips to keep in mind when starting any new course:
- Students are responsible for online course content, taking notes, obtaining other course materials, taking applicable tests, and completing scheduled assignments. At a minimum students should expect to log into the course three times per week and spend three hours per course credit per week on the course.
- Students are responsible for monitoring course syllabus changes throughout the semester.
- Students are responsible for monitoring their grades.
- Students who anticipate missing long periods of online time due to personal circumstances should check their course syllabi for an established process to address missing time online, and reach out to their instructor as early as possible. The course instructor will determine the minimum time and participation required in order to meet course responsibilities. In the event of unforeseen conflicts, the instructor and student will arrive at a solution together as soon as possible to resolve the issue.
- Requests for taking exams or submitting assignments after the due dates vary by course. Students should check each course syllabus to learn more about your instructor's policy on make-up work or rescheduling exams and due dates. Some instructors may require documentation of events such as illness, family emergency, or a work-sanctioned activity. Please consult your instructor to make necessary arrangements as soon as you are aware of the need.