Whether you want to add or drop a course, you will want to consider:
- Is there still time to add or drop a course?
- Will a change in my course schedule have financial implications?
- How many late drop credits do I have remaining?
- Are you dropping all of your courses for the semester? If so, you will have to complete a withdrawal.
Before making any registration changes, talk with your academic adviser to understand how changing your courses will fit into your academic plan.
How to Drop a Course During the Designated Drop/Add Period
You can use eLion to drop a course.
You can send an email from your Penn State email account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your Penn State ID number, the course number, and the semester. You should also copy your instructor on the email request.
You can drop a course after the designated drop/add period and before the late drop deadline (this will vary by course — refer to the “Course Drop Dates” application in eLion for more information), with certain restrictions and requirements:
- A $6 fee is charged for each course dropped.
- The courses are entered on the student record.
- Late dropping could affect your eligibility for financial aid. If you have questions, contact our Office of Student Aid.
- Late drop credit limitations during your academic career are:
- for the baccalaureate degree, 16 credits
- for the associate degree, 10 credits
- undergraduate nondegree students, 10 credits
Please note: You can determine how many late drop credits you have remaining by viewing your “Academic Summary” in eLion. Courses dropped during the late drop period will appear on your student record.