Thank you for your interest in online math tutoring for World Campus students. Please read through the following information in order to make your session as successful as possible.
Online math tutoring is available for:
- MATH 004 Intermediate Algebra
- MATH 021 College Algebra
- MATH 022 College Algebra and Analytic Geometry
- MATH 034 The Mathematics of Money
- MATH 110 Techniques of Calculus
Note: At this time we can provide tutoring only for the courses listed above.
How Can a Math Tutor Help Me?
If you're concerned about performance in college-level math classes or simply want to maintain your "A", you're not alone. Our online math tutors can help:
- answer questions
- review material for quizzes and tests
- provide test preparation and test-taking tips
- establish short and long term study goals
Our math tutors have taken many of the math courses and are equipped to help you with your homework assignments.
How Can I Prepare for My Tutoring Session?
- have your assignment/homework sheet and textbook in hand
- know what you want to talk about with the tutor. It is your responsibility to direct the session
- consider using a headset-with-microphone-combination (Though not necessary for participation, it is strongly recommended for the most efficient communication with the tutor.)
What Should I Do During the Session?
Be ready to participate. The success of your session hinges on your participation in it. It may be helpful to make use of emoticons to communicate whether you understand the mathematical process the tutor is explaining.
Where Do I Log in to My Tutoring Session?
Your tutoring session will take place in Blackboard Collaborate, a web collaboration application with a built-in chat feature and headset-microphone communication capabilities. Please visit the Blackboard Collaborate Product Support page before commencing any tutoring sessions to ensure that your computer is equipped with the proper software. (You will need Java.) We recommend using Firefox as the web browser for your tutoring session.
- Log in to the Penn State Learning appointment scheduler to set up a time to meet with a tutor. If this is your first tutoring session, you will need to complete Penn State Learning Registration. Select "World Campus Math Tutoring" from the pull-down menu. You will be able to make a 30-minute to 1-hour appointment.
- Fifteen minutes before your appointment, log in to Penn State Learning and click on the "World Campus Math Tutoring Schedule" and then click on the bold, blue "Math" at the top of the schedule to take you into the Blackboard Collaborate tutoring session.
- After your tutoring session has ended, please complete the evaluation form. Your input is a valuable resource we can use to improve the tutoring process in the future.
Tutoring sessions are offered by appointment throughout the semester. You may schedule an appointment with a tutor via the Penn State Learning website. If this is your first time using tutoring services, you will need to first register for an account with Penn State Learning.
Questions or Comments
Please contact Lisa Broniszewski with any questions or comments about online math tutoring, or if the available times do not fit your schedule.
Learning Community Associate
Penn State Learning
205B Boucke Building
University Park, PA 16802